Summer parties are great, but you need to know how to make a margarita to serve to your guests. Margaritas are popular because they basically taste like summer--but you don't have to spend too much time and money to make them. You can also customize your own margarita recipe by adding strawberries, kiwis, and lime -- the possibilities are endless! Before you start making your own mix, here's a refresher on the basics first.
How to Make Mexican Margaritas in 7 Easy Steps
In This Article:
- What Is a Margarita?
- What You Need
- How to Make It
- Things to Remember
What Is a Margarita?
A margarita is a cocktail composed of three simple signature ingredients: orange liqueur, tequila, and lime juice. It's also given extra flair by adding salt and lime to the rim of the glass for an extra kick. The ingredients for Margarita all bring something unique to the table.
What You Need
Limeade is a beverage created by mixing lime juice and sweetened water. Limes are somewhat sweeter and sharper in taste than lemons, making it a better option for drinks because of its stronger taste. Limes are also filled with antioxidants and vitamin C to help detox the body and strengthen the immune system. Adding the sugar and water will help you adjust the tart-sweet flavor.
100% Agave Tequila
100% agave tequila can have varying flavors but the most common is bold, fruity, and herbal, with a hint of spice. Drinking agave tequila may help improve digestion to prevent constipation, and can also help you sleep.
Grand Marnier has a sweet citrusy flavor, which is the perfect contrast to other bitter-tasting beverages. You can add this to your drink to sweeten it and create a more complex flavor. And as you're well aware, a little liquor can loosen you up and make you more social. People drinking together are likely to talk more and smile, leading to new friendships.
Orange juice has a good sweetness and acidity, making it perfect for improving the flavor of your drink. Fresh orange juice contains Vitamin C and antioxidants that may help in fighting off many types of cancers.
Now that we’ve discussed the ingredients and their benefits, it’s time to show you the quantities needed for your margarita.
- 6 ounces of Grand Marnier
- 8 ounces of 100% agave tequila
- ¼ cup of fresh squeezed orange juice
- 12 ounces of frozen limeade concentrate
How to Make It
Now that we’ve covered the ingredients and their quantities, we can start making our margarita.
Step 1: Gather Your Supplies
Get your blender and gather your ingredients.
Step 2: Mix the Limeade and Orange Juice
Pour the limeade and orange juice into the blender.
Step 3: Add Ice
Pour enough ice until the blender is almost full.
Step 4: Add the Tequila and Grand Marnier
Pour the Tequila and Grand Marnier into the mixture.
Step 5: Cover with the Lid
Cover your mixture with the lid to prevent it from spilling everywhere.
Step 6: Blend Well
Blend the mixture on high until it’s all smooth.
Step 7: Serve Immediately
Serve it on a chilled glass rimmed with salt and lime.
Things to Remember
- You should use a blender to mix the ingredients easier.
- Swipe a lime wedge around the rim of the glass before dipping it into the salt.
- To make multiple servings easier, you can freeze lime juice into ice cube trays.
- Shake, don’t stir, the citrus and fruit juices will blend and chill better by shaking.
- Do not add too much lime juice, as margaritas must contain equal parts tequila and lime.
- Avoid using cheap tequila; your margarita is only as good as the quality of your ingredients.
- You can use a travel mug as a makeshift cocktail shaker since they are made of the same materials.
- You can also put lime and salt in only half of the rim of the glass to give your guests a choice on how to consume their margarita.
- Mix up the flavors by substituting the lime juice with limeade. Then add a handful of fruits of your choice such as strawberries, pineapples, kiwis, or whichever fits your preferences.
Check out this awesome video from Hilah Cooking to see the steps in action:
Summer is a great time to have parties, but no party is complete without a good margarita. Margaritas are the perfect choice for party drinks because they are easy to make en masse while offering a good variety. Store bought mixes contain more sugar and calories while cheap ingredients make for poor drinks. Follow our guide on how to make a margarita, and you’ll end up the king of summer.
What recipes do you use for margaritas? Tell us in the comments section below!
Up Next: 7 Cool Beards On Television